SmartFlow Patient Workflow Software
4 ways SmartFlow's whiteboard software will make your workflow more efficient
By Angela Beal, DVM
SmartFlow is a complete workflow optimisation system that refines your communication and efficiency. Its proprietary tools encompass your entire workflow, from check-in to patient follow-up. A critical component of the SmartFlow Patient Workflow Software system is a whiteboard function that makes team communication a breeze.
SmartFlow software’s digital whiteboards are large screens located throughout your clinic, such as in the outpatient, treatment, and surgery areas, that keep your team updated about patients. The information displayed on them is customisable. With a quick glance, team members see which patients are ready to be examined, have upcoming treatments, or are currently in surgery.
Your practice may already use some version of a whiteboard, including some that are a part of the practice information management system (PIMS). Here are four benefits that SmartFlow clinis enjoy and that your team will love:
#1: Better outpatient appointment flow
The outpatient whiteboard is mounted in a central area where appointments are seen. The entire team can see all steps within the process, allowing appointments to flow more smoothly. The team can see:
- When the receptionist checks in a new patient ready for an examination room.
- When the veterinary technician takes a history and checks off the task, letting the veterinarian know the pet is ready to be examined.
- When the veterinarian enters tasks, such as diagnostic tests or medication preparation, that need to be completed before the patient leaves.
With SmartFlow software’s digital whiteboard, your practice can easily shave minutes from each appointment, which can quickly add up to extra hours of time each day to get more done. Plus, you will never have to decipher the handwriting of a colleague again.
#2: No more missed treatments
In your clinic's treatment area, another large digital whiteboard will display inpatient treatments. When treatments are administered, team members use the touch screen to check them off as completed. Because busy veterinarians record new treatments with a portable iPad, they don't have to remember to alert support staff to any changes. All team members can see the whiteboard, so they can plan their day to ensure treatments are completed on time. If a treatment is missed, a whiteboard alert flashes red until the task is completed and checked off. Multiple missed treatments are prioritised so your team can complete them efficiently.
#3: Smoother surgery days
SmartFlow software’s digital surgery whiteboard keeps all of your clinic's surgical tasks on track. By glancing at the surgery whiteboard, a portable iPad, or a remote monitor, all team members throughout the hospital know each surgical patient’s status:
- Veterinary technicians know which patients need an IV catheter placed or premedications administered.
- Veterinarians know which patients are ready for induction.
- Client service representatives know exactly what to tell concerned owners who call for updates and can provide up-to-the-minute updates.
#4: Portable patient updates
All SmartFlow whiteboard screens can be viewed on portable iPads and remote screens in different parts of the hospital, or even in a separate building. The ability of all team members throughout the practice to see various screens wherever they are improves communication and efficiency:
- Veterinarians on the other side of the clinic see when an outpatient is ready to be examined.
- Veterinary technicians refer to the iPad to see which diagnostic tests the veterinarian has ordered.
- Client care representatives see that a surgical patient has fully recovered, has had its IV catheter removed, and is ready for discharge.
SmartFlow software’s digital whiteboard automatically updates every few seconds, so you can be confident that what your team sees on their screens is accurate and current. It can help to optimise your practice's communication and efficiency, which lets everyone get more out of each day.