What is the IDEXX SDMA Test?
SDMA: Innovative kidney function biomarker
SDMA (symmetric dimethylarginine) is a renal biomarker specific to kidney function. It has proven to be a more reliable indicator of kidney function than creatinine, enabling veterinarians to detect both acute kidney injury (AKI) and chronic kidney disease (CKD) earlier than ever before.1-5 The International Renal Interest Society (IRIS) says it also helps in determining the most effective treatment recommendations for advancing disease.6
Three key attributes of SDMA make it a more reliable kidney function test:
Biomarker for kidney function
SDMA is excreted by the kidneys. SDMA more accurately reflects glomerular filtration rate (GFR) in dogs and cats.1-4
Earlier than creatinine
SDMA increases as early as 25% loss of kidney function,2 making SDMA more reliable in both acute or active kidney injury and chronic kidney disease.1-3 Creatinine cannot identify kidney issues until almost 75% of kidney function is lost.2,3
Specific for kidney function
SDMA is less impacted by extrarenal factors than creatinine, including body condition, advanced age and disease state.5,6
SDMA is also not affected by lean body mass, making it more reliable for assessing kidney function in animals with chronic kidney disease or other conditions that result in weight and muscle loss, such as hyperthyroidism.5,6
The IDEXX SDMA Test is now included in the International Renal Interest Society (IRIS) Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD) Staging and Treatment Guidelines as a useful adjunct for diagnosing CKD and for helping to determine treatment for the appropriate stage of CKD.6
The IDEXX SDMA Test is now included in the International Renal Interest Society (IRIS) guidelines for chronic kidney disease.
Simple to order
Reference Laboratory Customers can order IDEXX SDMA as part of a comprehensive profile or as an independent renal screening panel. It is included in all Canine and Feline Recommended Profiles at no additional charge or is coupled to Creatinine in the IDEXX Renal Screening Panel for instances where patient monitoring and a more specific renal check are of value.
In-House Diagnostic Customers will be able to run Catalyst SDMA on the Catalyst One or Catalyst Dx instruments from the 1st May 2018.
- Nabity MB, Lees GE, Boggess M, et al. Symmetric dimethylarginine assay validation, stability and evaluation as a marker for early detection of chronic kidney disease in dogs. J Vet Intern Med. 2015;29(4):1036-1044.
- Hall JA, Yerramilli M, Obare E, Yerramilli M, Jewell DE. Comparison of serum concentrations of symmetric dimethylarginine and creatinine as kidney function biomarkers in cats with chronic kidney disease. J Vet Intern Med. 2014;28(6):1676-1683.
- Hall JA, Yerramilli M, Obare E, Yerramilli M, Almes K, Jewell DE. Serum concentrations of symmetric dimethylarginine and creatinine in dogs with naturally occurring chronic kidney disease. J Vet Intern Med. 2016;30(3):794-802. Yerramilli M,
- Yerramilli M, Obare E, Jewell DE, Hall JA. Symmetric dimethylarginine (SDMA) increases earlier than serum creatinine in dogs with chronic kidney disease (CKD). [ACVIM Abstract NU-42]. J Vet Intern Med. 2014;28(3):1084-1085. Accessed 14 January 2015.
- Hall JA, Yerramilli M, Obare E, Yerramilli M, Yu S, Jewell DE. Comparison of serum concentrations of symmetric dimethylarginine and creatinine as kidney function biomarkers in healthy geriatric cats fed reduced-protein foods enriched with fish oil, L-carnitine and medium-chain triglycerides. Vet J. 2014;202(3):588-596.
- Hall JA, Yerramilli M, Obare E, Yerramilli M, Melendez LD, Jewell DE. Relationship between lean body mass and serum renal biomarkers in healthy dogs. J Vet Intern Med. 2015;29(3):808-814.
- Data on file at IDEXX Laboratories, Inc., Westbrook, Maine, United States.