IDEXX SDMA testing
Gain deeper insights into kidney health with IDEXX SDMA testing so you can confidently take action.
Welcome to the IDEXX SDMA Resource Center
Find everything you need to use, implement, and order SDMA.
Run SDMA every time you run creatinine and BUN
SDMA gives a more complete view, because:
- SDMA is a biomarker for kidney function.
- SDMA increases early, with only 25% of kidney function lost.1–3
- SDMA is specific for kidney function and less impacted by extrarenal factors, including body condition, advanced age, and disease state.4,5
What to do when SDMA is increased
An increased SDMA indicates decreased kidney function, which can occur as a result of acute kidney injury, chronic kidney disease (CKD), or both.
The IDEXX SDMA Test Algorithm will help you take the appropriate steps towards confirming disease and diagnosis when SDMA is increased.
Follow the IRIS guidelines for staging and treating CKD
The International Renal Interest Society (IRIS) chronic kidney disease (CKD) guidelines recognize the importance of SDMA for both diagnosis and treatment.7
Two options: same reliable results
The in-house Catalyst SDMA Test for use with the Catalyst One and Catalyst Dx chemistry analyzers
The IDEXX SDMA Test, included with every chemistry panel or as a stand-alone test from IDEXX Reference Laboratories
- Nabity MB, Lees GE, Boggess M, et al. Symmetric dimethylarginine assay validation, stability, and evaluation as a marker for early detection of chronic kidney disease in dogs. J Vet Intern Med. 2015;29(4):1036–1044.
- Hall JA, Yerramilli M, Obare E, Yerramilli M, Jewell DE. Comparison of serum concentrations of symmetric dimethylarginine and creatinine as kidney function biomarkers in cats with chronic kidney disease. J Vet Intern Med. 2014;28(6):1676–1683.
- Hall JA, Yerramilli M, Obare E, Yerramilli M, Almes K, Jewell DE. Serum concentrations of symmetric dimethylarginine and creatinine in dogs with naturally occurring chronic kidney disease. J Vet Intern Med. 2016;30(3):794–802.
- Hall JA, Yerramilli M, Obare E, Yerramilli M, Yu S, Jewell DE. Comparison of serum concentrations of symmetric dimethylarginine and creatinine as kidney function biomarkers in healthy geriatric cats fed reduced protein foods enriched with fish oil, L-carnitine, and medium-chain triglycerides. Vet J. 2014;202(3):588–596.
- Hall JA, Yerramilli M, Obare E, Yerramilli M, Melendez LD, Jewell DE. Relationship between lean body mass and serum renal biomarkers in healthy dogs. J Vet Intern Med. 2015;29(3):808–814.
- Data on file at IDEXX Laboratories, Inc. Westbrook, Maine USA.
- International Renal Interest Society. 2015 IRIS CKD Staging Guidelines. www.iris-kidney.com/guidelines. Accessed May 9, 2018.
- Lulich JP, Osborne CA, O'Brien TD, Polzin DJ. Feline renal failure: questions, answers, questions. Compend Contin Educ Pract Vet. 1992;14(2):127–153.
- Brown SA. Renal dysfunction in small animals. The Merck Veterinary Manual website. www.merckvetmanual.com/urinary_system/noninfectious_diseases_of_the_urinary_system_in_small_animals/renal_dysfunction_in_small_animals. Updated October 2013. Accessed May 9, 2018.