...the new frontier
in kidney health
What is SDMA?
SDMA is a more reliable indicator of kidney function than creatinine.1-5 A renal biomarker specific to kidney function, SDMA has proven to be a more sensitive indicator than creatinine, enabling veterinarians to detect acute kidney injury and chronic kidney disease earlier than ever before.1-3,5 Since the test was made available to practices across New Zealand and Australia, more than 180,000 tests have been run and veterinarians are now seeing more than 2X the amount of early kidney disease detected by creatinine alone.6
This is what Dr Alicia Fagella, Emergency & Critical Care Specialist had to say about the most significant advancement in the field of veterinary medicine in the past 30 years:
"It makes sense to run SDMA on all patients, since it provides such an early indicator for disease. When an elevated SDMA result is observed in an apparently healthy animal, we see this as cause to investigate further and it has helped us improve as a hospital team in assessing the whole picture, for each patient."
Available from 1st May 2018
Why is SDMA more reliable?
SDMA is more reliable than creatinine because of its 3 key attributes:
- SDMA is a biomarker for kidney function.
- SDMA increases earlier than creatinine.2,3
- SDMA is specific for kidney function and less impacted by extrarenal factors, including body condition, advanced age and disease state.4,5
Take action with SDMA
An increased SDMA indicates decreased kidney function as a result of acute kidney injury (AKI), chronic kidney disease (CKD) or both. It requires further diagnostic investigation. SDMA results above the reference interval mean you should take action to investigate, manage and monitor.
The International Renal Interest Society (IRIS), led by a board of 15 world-renowned independent veterinarians specialising in nephrology, added SDMA to their guidelines.7
IDEXX Learning Center
View and trend all your results
Get a more complete picture of your patient’s health with IDEXX VetConnect PLUS.
Follow up for deeper insights
Learn more about your patients’ health with specialty tests from Reference Laboratories.
Streamline your urinalysis work flow
In just 3 minutes from only 4–5 drops of urine, the SediVue Dx Urine Sediment Analyser employs three cutting-edge technologies to identify, classify and quantify critically relevant particles for urine sediment analysis.
- Nabity MB, Lees GE, Boggess M, et al. Symmetric dimethylarginine assay validation, stability and evaluation as a marker for early detection of chronic kidney disease in dogs. J Vet Intern Med. 2015;29(4):1036-1044.
- Hall JA, Yerramilli M, Obare E, Yerramilli M, Jewell DE. Comparison of serum concentrations of symmetric dimethylarginine and creatinine as kidney function biomarkers in cats with chronic kidney disease. J Vet Intern Med. 2014;28(6):1676-1683.
- Hall JA, Yerramilli M, Obare E, Yerramilli M, Almes K, Jewell DE. Serum concentrations of symmetric dimethylarginine and creatinine in dogs with naturally occurring chronic kidney disease. J Vet Intern Med. 2016;30(3):794-802.
- Hall JA, Yerramilli M, Obare E, Yerramilli M, Yu S, Jewell DE. Comparison of serum concentrations of symmetric dimethylarginine and creatinine as kidney function biomarkers in healthy geriatric cats fed reduced-protein foods enriched with fish oil, L-carnitine and medium-chain triglycerides. Vet J. 2014;202(3):588-596.
- Hall JA, Yerramilli M, Obare E, Yerramilli M, Melendez LD, Jewell DE. Relationship between lean body mass and serum renal biomarkers in healthy dogs. J Vet Intern Med. 2015;29(3):808-814.
- Data on file at IDEXX Laboratories
- International Renal Interest Society. 2015 IRIS CKD Staging Guidelines. www.iris-kidney.com/pdf/staging-of-ckd.pdf. Accessed 30 September 2016.